While a relocation of Wales-France had been mentioned, the meeting of the six nations tournament will take place at the Millenium Stadium on 11 next March.
Matches of the Six Nations Tournament (5 February – 11 March) in Wales will be able to welcome the public after the Welsh government announced on Friday that it would relax the restrictions linked to the Covid-11 pandemic in the coming weeks. All sporting events in the country have been held behind closed doors since 26 December due to the increase in cases of Covid-19 caused by the Omicron variant.
Severe “alert 2” level measures have so far imposed limits on gatherings but current data shows a drop in the number of cases and a decrease in the number of patients in intensive care units. The transition to the “zero alert” level should therefore be done in stages, with restrictions on outdoor activities being removed first.
The vaccination pass will be necessary
Thus, from Saturday, the number of people who can be present during open-air events air will change from 50 to 50 and, from 21 January, there will be no more limits. Spectators will therefore be able to attend the matches of the Six Nations Tournament, even if the vaccination pass will remain necessary. Wales will host Scotland on 12 February, France on 12 March and Italy a week later.
The Millennium Stadium has the distinction of having a retractable roof, which is often closed for matches. According to the protocol in force during the Tournament, it may have to remain open. “The steps we have taken together have helped us weather Storm Omicron,” said Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford. “The latest data suggests some positive signs that the peak may have passed.”
“We can now look to the future with more confidence and plan to start phasing out restrictions on alert level 2, starting with outdoor measures,” he said. Pressure from sports organizations and supporters had increased in recent days, with many fearing that the matches would have to be staged in England.