Mother, father and 14-year-old son die in devastating early morning home fireplace

Authorities say it doesn’t seem the house had any working smoke detectors.

June 22, 2021, 11:56 AM

• 6 min learn

A household of three — together with a mom, father and their teenage son — have all tragically died in an early morning home fireplace that enveloped their house.

The incident occurred at roughly 2 a.m. early on Monday, June 21, in Pottstown, Pennsylvania — about 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia — when a fireplace swept by way of the household’s house and a neighbor who seen the blaze alerted a police officer who occurred to be within the space on the time, in line with ABC News’ Philadelphia station WPVI.

“From our window of our house I could see some flames coming out of there, but there was a lot of smoke. There was a lot of smoke,” neighbor Christopher Azukas informed WPVI in an interview following the incident.

Azukas informed WPVI that it was his daughter who initially seen the fireplace and alerted the authorities.

“She just ran out and flagged him down and said that there was a fire going on in that house over there,” he stated.

Fire crews quickly arrived on scene and tried to rescue the household contained in the burning house however had been unsuccessful. Authorities, nevertheless, had been in a position to save the folks dwelling within the house connected to the one the place the fireplace began.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office have up to now solely recognized the daddy, — 48-year-old Joseph Norton — and confirmed that he was pronounced useless from smoke and soot inhalation at Pottstown Hospital. The mom’s title alongside together with her 14-year-old son’s title has not but been launched, in line with WPVI.

Azukas stated the household largely saved to themselves however that he would usually see them spending time collectively of their yard.

“[The teenager] was heavily into baseball so I’d see him out back sometimes in the backyard, sometimes practicing baseball and stuff like that,” Azukas told WPVI. “I’d see him and his father go off to the games on weekends and everything, but that was really about it.”

An investigation into how the fire began is underway and even though it is currently unclear what could have started the fire, officials told WPVI that they have an idea of how the blaze began but are not ready to release it at this time.

Authorities, however, did confirm to WPVI that it does not appear the home the family were living in had any working smoke detectors which may have been a contributing factor to the spread of the fire.

ABC News

 » Read Full Story

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply