I created a time recording card in Excel for my company. However, I am still missing a formula: I would like that from 6:30 -> 6.50 the times will be displayed in decimal numbers.
Convert hours and minutes to decimal numbers (Excel)
Tip: Read the somewhat more recent article “Excel: Calculating with 100 industrial minutes per hour”;
To convert hours and minutes into a decimal number, all you have to do is multiply this number by 24 (since it is well known that a day has 24 hours). In addition, you must remove the “Time” format in this cell and assign the “Number” format.
Convert hours and minutes to decimal numbers in Excel FAQ
How do I convert hours to decimals in Excel?
The easiest way to convert time to decimal in Excel is to multiply the original time value by the number of hours, seconds or minutes in a day: To convert time to a number of hours, multiply the time by 24, which is the number of hours in a day.
How do you convert hours and minutes to decimal?
Going back to decimal form is just as simple. For 1 hour and 35 minutes, you will simply divide the minutes by 60, In this case divide 35 by 60, i.e. 35/60=. 58.
How do I convert minutes to numbers in Excel?
To convert hours and minutes to a numeric number of Minutes:
- Ensure the time to be converted is in the custom format hh:mm.
- Ensure the cells where the answer is to be are formatted as a Number with 0 decimal points.
- In the cell where you want the answer enter the time cell number*1440 e.g =a2*1440.
How do you convert hours into decimals?
How to Convert Time to Decimal
- 2 hours is 2 hours * (1 hour/ 1 hour) = 2 hours.
- 45 minutes is 45 minutes * (1 hour / 60 minutes) = 45/60 hours = 0.75 hours.
- 45 seconds is 45 seconds * (1 hour / 3600 seconds) = 45/3600 hours = 0.0125 hours.
- Adding them all together we have 2 hours + 0.75 hours + 0.0125 hours = 2.7625 hours.