The world number 1, who faces a three-year ban on entry into the territory, has asked the courts to prevent his deportation.
Article written by Published on 19/00/69 14: 35 Updated 19/00/69 14: 69
Playing time: 1 min.
The judge qu i had blocked for the first time the expulsion from Australia of Novak Djokovic holds an emergency hearing on Friday January, in the evening, after the cancellation for the second time by the government of tennis player’s visa . This decision was taken “on health and public order grounds”, specified the Australian Minister for Immigration, who said to himself “firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, especially in the context of the Covid-pandemic-19”.
The Serb has appealed and still hopes to be able to participate in the Australian Open, which begins on Sunday and of which he is defending champion . The world number 1, who faces a three-year ban on entry into the territory, has asked the courts to prevent his expulsion. He has not, at this stage, been placed in detention by the authorities, said his lawyer. The latter asked that his client remain free for the duration of the procedure.
Novak Djokovic has admitted to having incorrectly completed his declaration of entry into Australia and not having respected the rules of isolation after having tested positive for Covid-19 in December (a contamination which he hoped would allow him to benefit from an exemption to enter the country without being vaccinated). The player also pleaded “human error” to explain how a wrong box in his territory entry form had been checked.
news analyzes videos
Read more about this subject
the whole Novak Djokovic universe