(CNN)On Wednesday afternoon, to the shock of completely nobody, the Democratic-controlled House voted to impeach President Donald Trump for his position in inciting a riot that led to the overrunning of the US Capitol simply seven days in the past.
I watched the complete debate, combed via the vote and provided a couple of preliminary ideas beneath.
* The 10: In the top, 10 Republicans voted to question Trump. They are: Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyoming), Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (Washington), Rep. John Katko (New York), Rep. Adam Kinzinger (Illinois), Rep. Fred Upton (Michigan), Rep. Dan Newhouse (Washington), Rep. Peter Meijer (Michigan), Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (Ohio), Rep. Tom Rice (South Carolina) and Rep. David Valadao (California).
There’s no apparent through-line for these “yes” votes. Meijer is in his first time period and Gonzalez his second. But Upton is in his seventeenth time period. Kinzinger and and Cheney have been outspoken critics of Trump. Rice and Katko have stated little publicly about their ideas on Trump.
And whereas Herrera Beutler and Valadao sit in aggressive districts in a basic election, Cheney and Newhouse characterize comfortably Republican areas.
* Trump’s gambit to restrict defections: Even because the House was debating the impeachment query — and within the speedy wake of a number of Republican House members saying their plans to vote for impeachment — Trump launched an announcement, via Fox News, that urged “NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind.” It was an announcement that elected Republicans had urged Trump to make for days, and it was (lastly) performed to cease the bleeding for the President and his occasion on the impeachment vote. Did it work? Hard to know for positive, however the comparatively low variety of Republicans who voted in favor of impeachment — some had urged the quantity may go as excessive as 20 — suggests it simply might need.
* A complete lotta Liz Cheney: The Wyoming Republican congresswoman did not converse on the ground of the House through the impeachment debate, however her assertion Tuesday night time announcing that she would support the impeachment of Trump was cited repeatedly by Democratic audio system as they sought to attraction to the consciences of their Republican colleagues. Meanwhile, a number of Republican members — most notably Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, who led the GOP aspect through the impeachment debate — pushed for Cheney to be faraway from her management place as a consequence of her stance on impeachment. “I think she’s totally wrong,” said Jordan.
* The Republican flip-flop: Just one week after 138 House Republicans (together with the highest two leaders within the House GOP) voted to object to the Electoral College leads to Pennsylvania — regardless of zero proof of fraud — the primary argument towards impeachment put ahead by those self same Republicans was that there isn’t a motive to take action as a result of Trump can be gone from workplace so quickly. Uh, what?
* The temperature has NOT been turned down: For these questioning whether or not the siege on the Capitol might need soothed a few of the partisan fires,